96th DOG Annual Meeting, 1998

P195

PROGNOSIS OF OGULAR TRAUMA WITH INTRARETINAL FOREIGN BODY

Z. Pikulski, J. Nawrocki, B. Bogorodzki, K. Dziegielewski

Purpose of this paper is to establish the prognosis after ocular trauma with intraretinal foreign body (IRFB).

Material and method: In 58 consecutive cases (age: 8 to 52 years; 2 females, 56 males) intraocular foreign body (IOFB) was removed. IOFB was located in the retina in 13 cases (22%) (group I) and in vitreous in 45 cases (78%) (group II). The results of both subgroups were compared to each other. In 21 cases (36%) lOFB was temoved by electromagnetic traction, and in the other 37 cases (64%) by vitreous surgery method. In all 21 cases after electromagnetic traction vitreous surgery was performed for the treatment of PVR retinal detachment (15 eyes) or endophthalmiƶs (B eyes) as the second procedure.

Results: During the follow up period (6 to 54 months, average 22,5 months) the retina has remained attached in 9 cases (69%) in group I, and in 30 cases (67%) in group II. Useful visual acuity 5/200 was achieved in 9 cases (69%) in group I, and in 27 cases (60%) in group II. Condusion: Intraretinal location of the foreign body must not be a poor prognostic factor affer ocular injury.

Department of Ophthalmology, Medical University of Lodz, 90-153 Lodz, Kopcinskiego 22, Poland


Back